Monday, November 22, 2010

anniversaries

I've decided they suck. At least some do.

I really didn't think I would be affected as much as I am. I think I'm pretty resilient. Maybe I'm just kidding myself; I think I'm pretty good at that, too.

When my dad was first diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, obviously we were all shocked. I was probably in denial. I may still be. But one year ago today was the beginning of the end of a very long roller coaster ride. My dad had a stroke, just about this time on that day. By the time I left him and my mom and sister at the hospital late that day, we thought things were fine. Or as fine as they could be given that he had a stroke and was in the hospital. Cancer complicates everything. I suppose he might not have even had the stroke if his body wasn't compromised from the chemo. But he did. And when I left the hospital that night, I certainly didn't think it would be the last time I saw him. I talked to him on the phone the next day, and maybe the one after that. But the next time I got to see my dad, he was comatose. So while he was still my dad, he wasn't my dad, if that makes sense to you.

Today is just a day like any other. But I'm in this funk that will not let up. And I guess I now know why. It's the anniversary of the day my dad had a stroke. The anniversary of the last day I was able to see and talk with him. Somehow knowing that, affects me more than knowing the anniversary of his actual passing is rounding the corner.

1 comment:

  1. Jana - I lost my mom to a brain aneurysm and my father to a sudden heart attack. I can replay every moment of each experience from beginning to end - and I do often. I saw my father the very afternoon of his heart attack as full of life as he ever was, planning to come see our new house that week. It is just another day, but it is so not. I think anyone who has been there can relate to what you are describing. Hang in there! Rhonda

    ReplyDelete